Re: user access to create tables

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 27 Jan 2006 16:20:55 -0800

>I am not teaching...I am actually taking the course, but I happen to be
>a sys admin in the dept. We had a linux box running Oracle 9i, but it
>crashed last semester, so I had to start from scratch and I have no
>experience in setting up a DB server. The only experience I have is
>runny MySQL on a home linux server. So, I am new and there are things
>I just don't know.

Sorry, I made some bad assumptions in my overly harsh questioning (partly because there recently was a post just like yours that began something like "I'm teaching a..."). I should have seen what Hans saw.  Especially since I was the setup guy in several places in the past! But in the past, the answer would have been "See your Database Administrator" much like if some windows admin had been thrown headfirst into a complicated unix environment might be told "see your system administrator."

Nowadays Hans' XE advice actually can work for your situation, and may quite possibly be exactly what XE was created for, depending on whether the class will be pushing against its limits.

XE is free but no official support, you should check your licensing/support situation, especially if you need to go the linux route.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060127/news_1b27choicepo.html