10g Client Crashing.

From: Preston Kemp <dontwantany_at_nowhere.invalid>
Date: 27 Jan 2006 10:22:01 GMT

I upgraded one of our site's databases from 8.1.7 to 10gR2 this week, & all appeared to go well until I also upgraded the client PCs. The application, which is written in USoft, works for a few minutes then crashes out with the standard XP error screen - "USoft Developer has encountered a problem and needs to close" etc etc. If I change the client's home back to the Reports 6i directory, everything works fine. It's the same on all the client PCs, which were built from a Ghost image.

First thought was it must be due to something else running on the clients, as we have several other sites with the same basic setup (XP Pro SP2 & 10gR1/R2) which work fine. So I cleared everything out of the startup group, rebooted, & it didn't make a blind bit of difference. I then plugged a laptop into the network with the same versions of XP, USoft etc, & that worked fine without crashing. So I was pretty sure it's something on the client PCs rather than the server or network. However...

...We've taken one of their PCs back to our office, & it works fine when connected to our server. The mystery deepens, & I'm rapidly becoming flummoxed. Unfortunately the client's site is a 3+ hour round trip, so I can't just pop down there to try stuff out. Has anyone got any ideas as to a probable cause?

--
Preston Kemp.