Re: RMAN backup failure on a 700 GB database.

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 07:05:05 GMT

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 02:22:08 -0800, vasant.naidu wrote:

> RMAN-10035: exception raised in RPC: ORA-19502: write error on file
> "bk_20461_1_580742991", blockno 21016449 (blocksize=512)
> ORA-27030: skgfwrt: sbtwrite2 returned error
> ORA-19511: sbtwrite2: sbtwrite2() failed.
> RMAN-10031: ORA-19624 occurred during call to
> DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.BACKUPPIECECREATE
>
> Let me also tell that sometimes this backup happens successfully, like
> the below fired on 24th Jan.
> -rw-rw-rw- 1 root root 27905 Jan 24 23:57
> hot_database_SV_VBPDF_backup.sh.Jan24_0430.out
>
> So what might be the problem:
>
> 1. Is it due to the database size
> 2. Is it due to the fact that our backup system cannot handle this big
> a database, during peak loads (most of the backup happens during night)
>
> Can anybody clear me on this?

Here are some probable causes:
clock speed
solar flares
electromagnetic radiation from satellite debris static from nylon underwear
static from plastic slide rules
global warming
poor power conditioning
static buildup
doppler effect
hardware stress fractures
magnetic interference from money/credit cards dry joints on cable plug
we're waiting for [the phone company] to fix that line sounds like a Windows problem, try calling Microsoft support temporary routing anomaly
somebody was calculating pi on the server fat electrons in the lines
excess surge protection
floating point processor overflow
divide-by-zero error
POSIX compliance problem
monitor resolution too high
improperly oriented keyboard
network packets travelling uphill (use a carrier pigeon) Decreasing electron flux
first Saturday after first full moon in Winter radiosity depletion
CPU radiator broken
It works the way the Wang did, what's the problem positron router malfunction
cellular telephone interference
techtonic stress
piezo-electric interference
(l)user error
working as designed
dynamic software linking table corrupted heavy gravity fluctuation, move computer to floor rapidly secretary plugged hairdryer into UPS
terrorist activities
not enough memory, go get system upgrade interrupt configuration error
spaghetti cable cause packet failure
boss forgot system password
bank holiday - system operating credits not recharged virus attack, luser responsible
waste water tank overflowed onto computer Complete Transient Lockout
bad ether in the cables
Bogon emissions
Change in Earth's rotational speed
Cosmic ray particles crashed through the hard disk platter Smell from unhygienic janitorial staff wrecked the tape heads Little hamster in running wheel had coronary; waiting for replacement to be Fedexed from Wyoming Evil dogs hypnotised the night shift
Plumber mistook routing panel for decorative wall fixture Electricians made popcorn in the power supply Groundskeepers stole the root password
high pressure system failure
failed trials, system needs redesigned
system has been recalled
not approved by the FCC
need to wrap system in aluminum foil to fix problem not properly grounded, please bury computer CPU needs recalibration
system needs to be rebooted
bit bucket overflow
descramble code needed from software company only available on a need to know basis
knot in cables caused data stream to become twisted and kinked nesting roaches shorted out the ether cable The file system is full of it
Satan did it
Daemons did it
You're out of memory
There isn't any problem
Unoptimized hard drive
Typo in the code
Yes, yes, its called a design limitation Look, buddy: Windows 3.1 IS A General Protection Fault. That's a great computer you have there; have you considered how it would work as a BSD machine? Please excuse me, I have to circuit an AC line through my head to get this database working. Yeah, yo mama dresses you funny and you need a mouse to delete files. Support staff hung over, send aspirin and come back LATER.

--
http://www.mgogala.com