Re: Oracle: how to demonstrate successful restore?

From: <dominica_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2006 18:46:24 -0800

Actually, I agree with Joel Garry and Daniel..and so on... We could always backup the database in tape, but we might NEVER get it back.
Sometimes, tape could be bad after leaving there for a while. And I usually recommend every 5 months, every company should do at least one
recovery test , even on a small DB .
And normally, an DBA should do/test recovery for different recovery scenario.
(complete and in-complete recovery and full-db recovery or partial
recovery).

Guess what?
I just have to do 3 disasater recovery of my 3 production databases last week
(the largest one is 450 GIg, smallest db is still 300 GIG).
Actually I do a partial-recover, I only recover the tablespace that I want.
BUt that tablespace is still 100+ GIG.
Basically, one of the application has a BUG and nullify one important column and
people don't realize the column is GONE until after 1 month.

So I have to get back the oracle hotbackup and archivelog from tape from last month.

I am very stressful about it and stay up late for 3 nights in a row.. and recover all 3 databases in a TEMP environment and then the developer could update back that column those those 13 million row tables
from the RECOVERED-DBs.

The funny thing is , I don't do recovery that often, but my current work,
lately has a lot of need to do recover.. even do logmining... to mind the delete rows.
Though, it become very good experience.

Dominica Received on Thu Jan 26 2006 - 20:46:24 CST