Re: installer 8.1 would not run on XP on windows 2003

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2006 16:34:29 -0800

I do not think I ever tried to install the Oracle 8.1 client on a Windows 2003 machine but the 8.1 installer had problems with installing on any machine with a Pentium 4. While this is probably not your problem it may be worth a check:

From: Theme (smith.gs_at_mellon.com)
Subject: Oracle 8.1.x installer hangs on machines with Pentium 4 Processors
Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.misc

here is the solution for anyone who has encountered this problem:

fix:

There are 3 possible workarounds:

  1. Obtain patch 1507768 from Oracle Support Services via Metalink. See Patch readme for patch installation details.
  2. [[ I had to use the instruction with this next step several times ]]
    1. Copy the content of the Installation to a temporary folder on the harddisk, rename ALL copies of file 'symcjit.dll'
    2. Go to folder \install and edit file 'oraparam.ini' (attention: write protection) and change parameter JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS to JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS=-nojit -ms16m -mx32m
    3. Start the installation again
  3. Use the Oracle Universal Installer that is shipped with Oracle 9.0.1 or higher.

  See also <Note:131299.1> Oracle Installer 8.1.X Hangs on Machines with Pentium 4 Processors

Also the following problem I recorded with Windows 2000 machines might be of value

1.2.13 Oracle Universal Installer Does Not Start Up on Windows 2000

Oracle Universal Installer may not start up properly (appear and then disappear) on Windows 2000 with Service pack 4. This is due to an underlying JRE bug. You need to run 'install\win32\setup.exe -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true' to workaround the issue.

HTH -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Thu Jan 26 2006 - 18:34:29 CST