Re: Stored procedure failed: maximum open cursors exceeded

From: Anurag Varma <avoracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2006 14:14:21 -0800

PL/SQL has the optimization where cursors are not closed. Instead they are reused.
However, if the open cursors start approaching the max, then pl/sql automatically starts closing them when it hits the limit. The optimization is a good thing. Sybrand has opinions which might not be backed by evidence/proof.

In your case, for that function you are just talking about couple of implicit cursors.
I cannot believe you would be hitting the limit on just a couple of them.
So my guess is that you might be diagnosing this wrong. Maybe you are calling/using
this function from a jdbc app and not properly closing cursors. You need to tell the whole story .. not just part of it.

Anurag Received on Thu Jan 26 2006 - 16:14:21 CST