Re: Hair-Puller - Date constraint

From: <DoctorZolo_at_gmail.com>
Date: 26 Jan 2006 12:11:50 -0800

(pop myself upside the head) Yes, of course, adding a field to the table to contain the current sysdate and doing the comparison between the two fields is a reasonable solution in this case. Sometimes I thinks too hard...

I sometimes have to try and stay away from triggers (though I use them more often than not) for a number of reasons. Primarily, since I'm a consultant, I don't want to have to rely on my clients' DBAs to know and understand trigger code - SQL is easier to explain, easier to port.  In my experience, trigger logic tends to confuse the generic DBA who only monitors what's already in place, make sure backups work, runs reports, and attends meetings for a living ({flame retardant disclaimer} no disrespect to you reading this is intended, please). In this case, a trigger would work but may confuse those tasked to develop a solution - my role is analysis & DB design during a very early prototype of a rather large project and I will not be there to help development in the real deal if the prototype and proposals are agreed to. Another reason to avoid triggers in this case is there's also no guarantee on specific RDBMS to be used, I just happen to be using Oracle - the client is a M$ shop and may have too much tied to justify buying into Oracle. There's significant enough differences between SQL Server 2005 (or 2K) and Oracle 10g (or 9i) that I'd rather not add complexity to the data layer at this stage.

Thanks!

DocZ Received on Thu Jan 26 2006 - 14:11:50 CST