Re: patching rdbms 8.1.7

From: Terry Dykstra <tddykstra_at_forestoil.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:54:52 GMT

<bdbafh_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
> Terry,
>
> CPUJan2006 included fixes for 8.1.7.4; see:
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/security/pdf/cpujan2006.html
>
> Oracle8i Database Release 3, version 8.1.7.4
>
> for win32, see patch_num=4751570
>

> Bugs Fixed by this patch
>
> 8.1.7.4.25 ? 4751570
>
> 4754820 - SECURITY BUGS FIXED IN CPUJAN 2006
>
> 8.1.7.4.25 includes all prior 8.1.7.4.n bug fixes.
> For a more descriptive list of the bug fixes included in this
> cumulative bundled patch please refer to MetaLink NOTE:161713.1
>

> hth.
>
> -bdbafh

I know, but you'll need a support contract. Some excerpts from metalink Note:343382.1

Product releases and versions that are covered by Error Correction Support (ECS) or Extended Maintenance Support (EMS):

  a.. Oracle8i Database Release 3, version 8.1.7.4 Critical Patch Updates are available for customers who have purchased Extended Maintenance Support (EMS) before the implementation of the Lifetime Support Policy. De-support Notices indicate whether EMS is available for a particular release and platform, as well as the specific period during which EMS will be available.

Customers with valid licenses for product versions covered by Extended Support (ES), before the implementation of the Lifetime Support Policy, are entitled to download existing fixes; however, new issues that may arise from the application of patches are not covered under ES. Therefore, ES customers should have comprehensive plans to enable removal of any applied patch.

Oracle will not provide Critical Patch Updates for product versions which are no longer covered under the Extended Maintenance Support plan or the Lifetime Support Policy. We recommend that customers upgrade to the latest supported version of Oracle products in order to obtain Critical Patch Updates.

--
Terry Dykstra
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.