Re: Oracle Filesystem Usage

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2006 07:53:27 -0800

stu_hors..._at_hotmail.com wrote:
> Dear Everyone,
>
> Quick question - will the performance of a database deteriorate if the
> filesystem nears it's capacity (i.e 99% full). Or would this make no
> difference (i.e the database would perform the same if the filesystem
> was increased in size).
>
> I know that I'd have a manageability problem but am purely concerned
> with performance.
>
> Regards
>
> Stuart

If you don't have enough FS space to satisfy an automatic extension of a file (with which to, in turn, satisfy a request for an additional segment extent), the operation causing the request will fail after a wait of a few milliseconds. I don't consider that to be a performance issue in the usual sense.

If you don't have enough FS space to write the next archivelog file, the whole instance will cease all operations until the archive operation can be completed. THAT will be a performance killer! ;-)

Look at it this way... that free space ine FS doesn't belong to Oracle, so why should Oracle care if that space is 1kb or 500gb? In fact, why should the OS even care, except to report it when asked. What operation is going to be impacted by the amount of space that it DOESN'T own?

I can't think of any. Received on Wed Jan 25 2006 - 09:53:27 CST