Re: Copying database instance from one server to another

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 24 Jan 2006 10:48:11 -0800

Comments embedded.
mRangel wrote:
> As far as I know, copying "admin" was not a good idea.

Aside from copying existing trace files from the source to the destination what makes that a bad idea?

> If I were you, I
> would have created a new database in the new server (via DBCA) with the
> same name, settings and block size of the one you wanted to move.

Why? He has the complete database from the source machine and the operating systems are compatible. Creating a new database is extra and unnecessary work. The only items he may need to recreate are a password file and an spfile.

> Then
> I would have replaced only this database's directory inside ORADATA
> with the one from the old server, recreating the controlfiles with a
> script and adjusting the parameters.

Why would he need to recreate controlfiles, especially if he's copied a database from one server to another using the same directory structure, naming conventions and db_name on both? What 'parameters' in the controlfile would need 'adjustment'? I've cloned databases between servers and had no need to pre-create a destination database or re-create controlfiles to 'adjust parameters' when I've used the same db_name and directory structure on both machines.

> Maybe the guys here will kill me
> for saying that, but I'll take my chances.

I think you need to practice cloning databases between like servers before you attempt to provide advice on the subject.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Jan 24 2006 - 12:48:11 CST