Re: oracle on linux

From: HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 22:13:38 GMT

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 13:57:12 -0800, sachin.dhall_at_gmail.com wrote:

> hi all please help..
>
> linux version 9 rh and oracle 9.2...
>

> i start up windowz and directly launch sql*plus tool... it just asks
> for the username and password..and then i am good to go ,because the
> database is running as a service at the back end.
>
> but on linux I log on as oracle user,do the following:
>

>>sqlplus /nolog
>>connect / as sysdba
>>startup

> then it starts up and i am good to go.....
>

> question--is there a way to work on linux as i am doing in windowz like
> just entering the username and password and not to "start up the
> database" every time i start system...

Sure -

In Windows, you are good to go because the service starts as part of the reboot.

The counterpart in Linux/Unix is to add the service startup to the appropriate initialization scripts.

Oracle provides the 'dbstart' and 'dbshut' routines and they can be invoked as part of the /etc/init? setup. This varies by Linux/Unix variant.

Setting this up is actually documented as well - in the "Oracle9i Installation Guide Release 2 (9.2.0.1.0) for UNIX Systems: AIX-Based Systems, Compaq Tru64 UNIX, HP 9000 Series HP-UX, Linux Intel, and Sun Solaris" - the section titled "Automating Database Startup and Shutdown for HP, Linux and Solaris (Optional)"

(But - pah - that's just documentation. For wimps. Real people just ... ask in the newsgroup. <g>)

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/html/A96167_01/post-inst.htm#sthref548

--
Hans Forbrich
mailto: Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com