Re: CLI or EM?

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 15:56:05 -0600

On 2006-01-23, HansF <News.Hans_at_telus.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:52:09 -0600, JEDIDIAH wrote:
>

>>> In general, if I know 'it', I can do something a lot faster (and possibly
>>> with more finesse or accuracy) in CLI than in EM.
>>
>> However, the EM is java and as such prone to many of the same
>> problems you might have seen in other java applications and applications
>> servers. In particular, I've already seen em start running amok on my
>> test cluster. I have 2 nodes currently with the dbconsole running on the
>> "master" node. On occassion, the 2nd node will get hammered by activity
>> apparently generated by EM. This includes numerous database connections
>> and excessive use of swap. This tends to lead to a load average of about
>> 15 and continues until I kill the em agent on the second node.
>
> Java have problems? Say it ain't so.

        Although, keep in mind that avoiding java wouldn't necessarily avoid problems where Oracle is concerned. With 9i under AIX, there are conditions where the agent will gobble up the box (either one cpu or all of them).

        That was a fun little bug.

> IMO, it's not Java as that generic 'opportunity for improvement' called
> J2EE, and the EJB 2.0 arena. I really can't wait for supported EJB 3.0
> compliance.
>
> I agree with the 'suitability' table on page 97 of "Better, Faster,
> Lighter Java" - Tate/Gehtland, http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bfljava

[deletia]

--
	The best OS in the world is ultimately useless         |||
	if it is controlled by a Tramiel, Jobs or Gates.      / | \