Re: CLI or EM?

From: jason bourne <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:14:42 -0600

FWIW, I've avoided EM ever since I moved from Informix to Oracle in late Version 6, early Version 7 days.

I was forced to work with an "expert" DBA who was completely wired into EM. During the 6 months or so that I had to spend with this guy, my attitude toward GUI in general was solidified over and over. This guy was disabled in one arm, so using the keyboard for him was not impossible, but very difficult. He much preferred the ease of point and click administration for obvious reasons.

However, he never understood that life existed outside of his set of GUI tools and as a result couldn't assimilate into our environment very well. He was continually bound to EM's view of the servers, which put him at a disadvantage and, frankly, put our enterprise at risk. If it wasn't in the GUI, it didn't exist. If the GUI couldn't solve the problem, open a TAR. Oh, and if the keyboard became necessary, it was necessary to involve either myself or Oracle support. This wasn't due to his lack of physical proficiency on the keys, but rather his total lack of syntax knowledge.

Thankfully, he moved on to other bigger and better things and we ( our shop ) went back to the safety of intelligent command line use.

-Kevin