Re: CLI or EM?

From: rcyoung <rcyoung_at_aliconsultants.com>
Date: 23 Jan 2006 07:09:36 -0800

I use a CLI but for a different reason. I do consulting for several remote clients, and I am on call 24x7 in case of problems or questions. Like everyone, I enjoy taking an occasional vacation or cruise, but how do you stay in touch with your customer from the middle of the Caribbean should a crisis arise?

I have a satellite phone that I can use to dial back to the customer's site, but the modem speed is limited to 2400 baud ( a 64Kb uplink system costs around $25K and is the size of a suitcase, not to mention on-line charges, so that is not an option). 2400 is far too slow for most PPP network dialup connections (they will usually reject your connection attempts). GUI's also have too many "bits" of "flummery" to download (pics, backgrounds, etc) for this low bandwidth.

However, 2400 baud is perfectly acceptable for a character CLI using a VT100 emulator, and a plain modem hooked to the remote system's serial port. This way, you can also avoid the pitfalls associated with many companies use of VPN's for remote dial up connections. I like to use a Mac laptop, but many VPN's are for Windows only. I have Virtual PC installed with multiple VPNs (Cisco, Avaya, etc) for different clients, but with a simple modem hookup that can be physically disconnected when not is use, one can use virtually any type of remote system ( there is even a vt100 emulator available for Palm PDAs for the ultimate in portability) to reach the client's site for monitoring or emergency "repair" work.