Warnings/Information (Event IDs 16 and 5) in Event Viewer

From: ohaya <ohaya_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:05:12 -0500

Hi,

I'm posting this under a new subject, as I had posted this info to an earlier thread with a different subject ("Can I safely get rid of the EXAMPLE tablespace?"), and I'm hoping you all just missed the latest posts.

Per suggestions on that earlier thread, I had taken the EXAMPLE tablespace offline on about 1/11/06.

Everything seemed to be going ok, but I got a popup warning last night (I'm running Windows 2000 Server SP4) saying that the Application Log in Event Viewer was full.

I looked at Event Viewer, and it looks like there have been a pair of Warning followed by Information events logged about every 45 seconds since at least 1/15/06:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Oracle.portal
Event Category: None

Event ID:       16
Date:           1/15/2006
Time:           11:13:30 PM
User:           N/A
Computer:       JIMNEW

Instance portal has been terminated.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Oracle.portal
Event Category: None

Event ID:       5
Date:           1/15/2006
Time:           11:14:17 PM
User:           N/A
Computer:       JIMNEW

Initializing PGA for process QMN0 in instance portal.

I can't tell if these started after I offlined that tablespace or not, because that was the beginning of the event viewer log on 1/15.

I un-offlined the tablespace last night, to see if the msgs stop, and it appears that they mostly have stopped.

I've been Googling to see if I could find any other instances of this situation, and the closest I could find was at:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:RFvoZZjkvPAJ:www.dbaclick.com/forums/archive/43/8622.html+oracle+event+id+16+event+id+5+Initializing+PGA+for+process+QMN0+in+instance&hl=en

but there were no responses there :(.

Does anyone have any idea why this happens when I offline that EXAMPLE tablespace?

Thanks,
Jim Received on Sun Jan 22 2006 - 18:05:12 CST