Re: Fresher DBA!!!

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 22 Jan 2006 09:51:24 -0800

Dibur wrote:
> One or two years down the line working as a DBA what specific areas
> apart from administration i should be focusing on to compete with a
> person whos career has followed a more conventional growth
> path......moving from a sql developer to db administration.

There is plenty of time within 2 years to gain substantial sql developer skills approaching even expert status given sufficient motivation.

You need to start with the basics and plan a program that matches your current abilities.

No DBA is worth much if "only" administration skills are what they possess.

So if I were you, I would put a huge amount of time and effort into developing sql knowledge first. Then work at putting those skills to some challenges in development efforts.

SQL tuning and performance tuning are also areas that will need attention but put those things into your planning efforts after you have master sql syntax and basic development skills.

You need to look deep into yourself and decide if you are up to the challenge or if you don't have it in you. Received on Sun Jan 22 2006 - 11:51:24 CST