Re: Fresher DBA!!!

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 22 Jan 2006 06:42:07 -0800

Dibur wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I had been campus recruited by IBM Global Services and after only one
> month training I am working as a DB2 DBA on client side for past two
> months.

IBM Global Services, like other consulting organizations, is probably starting to see some demand for DBA's in the mainframe environments.

There may be some real long term opportunities for people without skills in DB2 and/or IMS to pursue a career path in those technologies.

Once you have several years of experience in one of the mainstream commercial RDBMS products there may be opportunities to transition into a different product, given sufficient motivation and a demonstrated ability to perform.

> I dont see many oppurtunities building for me in future since a DBA
> without prior knowledge of SQL and PLSQL is useless.

Well do you want to build yourself up in those areas or not?

If you do want to get stronger in those areas why not spend some time outside of work getting stronger?

> shall I go for a project change at this point of time!!!

For something easier? For something more relevant to your long term interests?

You don't give us much idea of what area's you think are a better match for your current skillset. Received on Sun Jan 22 2006 - 08:42:07 CST