Re: Can I safely get rid of the EXAMPLE tablespace?

From: ohaya <ohaya_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 00:04:15 -0500

ohaya wrote:

> Ravi Chandran wrote:
> >
> > hi, sure you can get rid of 'EXAMPLE' database. Simply drop it..:)
> > "ohaya" <ohaya_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:43C4BE86.ADDA4D3_at_cox.net...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I used DBCA to create a "general" database, and I noticed a large
> > > (~150MB) tablespace named "EXAMPLE".
> > >
> > > Can I safely get rid of that tablespace (to get the 150MB back)? If so,
> > > what's the easiest way to accomplish that?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jim
>
> Hi,
>
> Per suggestions on this thread, I took took the tablespace offline on
> about 1/11/06.
>
> Everything seemed to be going ok, but I got a popup warning just now
> (I'm running Windows 2000 Server SP4) saying that the Application Log in
> Event Viewer was full.
>
> I looked at Event Viewer, and it looks like there have been a pair of
> Warning followed by Information events logged about every 45 seconds
> since at least 1/15/06:
>
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: Oracle.portal
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 16
> Date: 1/15/2006
> Time: 11:13:30 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: JIMNEW
> Instance portal has been terminated.
>
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: Oracle.portal
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 5
> Date: 1/15/2006
> Time: 11:14:17 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: JIMNEW
> Initializing PGA for process QMN0 in instance portal.
>
> I can't tell if these started after I offlined that tablespace or not,
> because that was the beginning of the event viewer log on 1/15.
>
> I'm going to un-offline the tablespace, and see if the msgs stop, but
> has anyone seen this behavior before?
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Hi,

Well, it's been over 7 minutes since I un-offlined the tablespace, and there are no more of those msgs in Event Viewer.

I've been Googling to see if I could find any other instances of this situation, but the closest I came was:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:RFvoZZjkvPAJ:www.dbaclick.com/forums/archive/43/8622.html+oracle+event+id+16+event+id+5+Initializing+PGA+for+process+QMN0+in+instance&hl=en

but there were no responses there :(.

Does anyone have any idea why this happens when I offline that EXAMPLE tablespace?

Does this mean that I CANNOT safely drop the the tablespace?

Thanks,
Jim Received on Sat Jan 21 2006 - 23:04:15 CST