Re: A WTF in the Oracle reference...

From: Walt <walt_askier_at_SHOESyahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 17:01:35 -0500

thomas.kyte_at_oracle.com wrote:

> Somethings that sound "not so smart" in books and quoted in forums:
>
> o are taken out of context (and in context are just fine)
>
> o are admitedly not explained well enough in the text (the author left
> out too much assumed knowledge, they are for the most part very much
> ready to revise or clarify)
>
> o are not so smart (and need correcting, we all make mistakes)

In this case, I think we're looking at category three. I don't have the v9.1 version of the book, but the version 8 goes on to state: "From here on...data in the database will be in upper case." So it's not just bad advice, it's bad advice followed by over 1200 pages of examples that follow that bad advice.

Unless I'm missing something. Is there anybody lurking here who advocates using all uppercase to store data "with few exceptions"?

//Walt Received on Thu Jan 19 2006 - 16:01:35 CST