Re: how to tell RMAN to look at different location for ARCH_LOG backup piece.

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:24:58 +0100

Joel Garry wrote:
> Re-reading the thread, I see I got confused too. hpuxrac's answer is
> correct, AFAIK there is no way to tell RMAN that the backup pieces are
> somewhere else. That's why duplicate and standby instructions say you
> must put everything on the new machine in exactly the same place, or
> make it look like they are in the same place with symlinks.
>
> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> linux in sox http://www.it-observer.com/articles.php?id=1042

I'm lost...

Rereading all of the thread, hpuxrac merely asks whether the mointpoint is used, and whether a symlink could be created.

That, I must confess, could be explained as "no, you must use the /au3 mount point, and restore from there. Is it in use, or can you symlink," etc. I did not get it the first time.

So, the question to the OP then is:
- do you RMAN to disk, and then backup disk to tape, or
- do you rman to tape directly?

Because, if you did the first, you must place the backed up files from tape to the directories/mount point used while being backup up.
This information is stored (either in the controlfile, or in the catalog database).

I think it would be the first case.
Us houxrac's suggestion, create a symlink /au3 to /archive-log-temp3. Same for /dbf-backup-piece-temp1 and /dd1

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...