how to tell RMAN to look at different location for ARCH_LOG backup piece.

From: <dominica_at_gmail.com>
Date: 18 Jan 2006 16:16:26 -0800

Hi All,

   I need to do a recover , not that urgent. (my version is 8.1.7.4 32 bit on unix , solaris)

Basically, my production db is running fine except some users just want one table's information from dec,01,2005 (they want to look at something on that day, long story).

That table is like 100 million row on a 100 GIG tablespace ABC. I am going to use a different unix host (server DB9).

The major method is to get back all the backed-up-pieces from TAPE and to a
new filesystem with different mount point than the one that I backed-up from.
That is all the confusion begin.

I plan to copy the archive-log-in-backup-pieces and all the dbf's-backup-pieces from tape to some TEMP LOCATION in my new machine.

My question is originally, the
archive-log-backup-pieces are backed-up from
/au3 from the REAL PRODUCTION MACHINE.

now my new machine has
/archive-log-temp3

and originally the backup-pieces (of the dbf file, I have each dbf as one
backup-piece) are from
/dd1 from the REAL PRODUCTION MACHINE

now they are in
/dbf-backup-piece-temp1

I think I need to tell RMAN to go to these new locations to look.. and how I tell RMAN to recover say SYSTEM01.dbf to /x01 if the originally is /u01.
So how to tell RMAN, probably has to some variable (inside RMAN) to the

new location.

Basically, I inherit this RMAN backup system and I hope to do a test recover before this happen. I think test-recover should be done every 4 months from tape to prove that everything is cool.

Thanks in advance,

P.S. In the past, I have recover the DB from RMAN in all the same mount point as the origin (so that one is kind of simple).

Dominica Received on Wed Jan 18 2006 - 18:16:26 CST