Re: AIX: Converting Oracle9RAC and raw device to Oracle10G and GPFS

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 15:08:48 -0800

ArneS wrote:
> We have today 4 nodes cluster running AIX, HACMP 5.2 and Oracle 9RAC. Now we
> have about 30 instances on each of the servers (total of 30 databases).
> I am thinking abot taking one of the databases out and move it into a 5.
> server outside the cluster - as a standalone machine. Because of lots of
> admin work in extending tablespaces, I would like to run the new server with
> Oracle10G and GPFS. But I have no clue of how much capasity we need in the
> future for this database, so my idea is to start with GPFS at once on one
> node (supported by IBM.), and then in the future, just buy one more node and
> then extend the cluster via Oracle. (In Oracle10 we don't need HACMP
> anymore, this is built inside Oracle sw.)
>
> So to my question: Is there anybody done something like this? Or is my idea
> kind of stupid? Let me hear!
>
> TIA!
>
> Arne S

What you have written strikes me as a frightening nightmare. Who doesn't like you? ;-)

I'd suggest taking a couple of machines out of the cluster. Dumping HACMP and using Oracle 10gR2 RAC for clustering. Consolidate the entire thing down to a single database (or perhaps 2 or 3). It works very well.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org