Re: Database servers on Sun T1

From: Chris \ <saundo_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 14:36:16 GMT

Neil Truby wrote:
> Has anyone any experience of running a serious database server (I'm
> particulrly interested in Informix IDS 9.40 or 10, but Oracle or DB2
> experience would be interesting too) on Sun's new T1 processors (or should I
> say "low-heat, highly parallelized T1 processors"?)

Not yet, but have had extensive discussions with the Sun team that supports us on where the T1-based systems fit. Their guidance, provided by the systems group, is that any database that is doing OLTP is likely to see improved throughput on the T1 due to the high memory bandwidth and much improved thread performance. Any database that is doing serious DSS/DW activities is likely to perform poorly due to the shared FPU and long running processes.

Chris Received on Wed Jan 18 2006 - 08:36:16 CST