Re: how to multiplex ocr and voting disk

From: Fabrizio Magni <fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:53:21 +0100

Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> Got my own answer:
> it has to be an odd number of copies.
>
> So I guess no single instance can take
> charge unless it has exclusively acquired
> more than half the known copies.

Some days ago I wished to give the same answer... ...but then I changed my mind.

I couldn't convince myself that the odd number of voting disks is enough.

I concluded I don't know how the voting mechanism in RAC is truly working (and I couldn't find documentation on the topic).

Maybe it is the flu or I'm naturally dumb but what happens if every voting disk is owned by a different node or no node owns enough disks?

Being at home I have no chance to play with a test system so if someone can post the list of file descriptors involving every voting disk grouped by process (on any node)...

--
Fabrizio Magni

fabrizio.magni_at_mycontinent.com

replace mycontinent with europe