Re: A WTF in the Oracle reference...

From: Daniel Fink <danielwfink_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2006 09:48:35 -0800

My $0.02 (USD)...

If the format of the raw data is important (like a customer name), store it that way. Don't 'cleanse' it, don't convert it. If I want to be referred to as $*#dwf*(@#Q$* (or the DBA formerly known as Prince), that is how you should communicate with me. As a customer, I don't care about Codd, 3NF, data cleansing, etc. I went to great pains to change my name, I demand that you respect it.

If you need to query on it, you have several options. You can store it in another column in a cleansed/converted format. You can create function-based indexes, views with functions, etc.

This is an issue for the business and users to decide. Before you apply a theory or standard to a business situation, always ask if it makes sense.

Regards,
Daniel Fink Received on Mon Jan 16 2006 - 11:48:35 CST