Re: A WTF in the Oracle reference...

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2006 03:07:20 -0800

chaoslight_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Here's a quote from the Oracle reference guide, page 27:
>
> "There are ways to find information from the database regardless of
> whether the data is in uppercase or lowercase, but these methods impose
> an unnecessary burden. With few exceptions, such as legal text or
> form-letter paragraphs, it is much easier to store data in the database
> in uppercase. It makes queries easier and provides a more consistent
> appearance on reports. When and if some of this data needs to be put
> into lowercase, or mixed uppercase and lowercase (such as the name and
> address on a letter), then the Oracle functions that perform the
> conversion can be invoked. It will be less trouble overall, and less
> confusing, to store and report data in uppercase."
>
> Is it just me, or is this advice profoundly retarded? I'd love to see
> what those Oracle functions would do with a name like MacDonald, or a
> company name like eBay. Especially in the age of StudlyCaps, I don't
> think the correct capitalization of proper names is something Oracle
> can just automagically figure out.
>
> Laszlo

Hmmm let me see:
- No version
- When I take the Oracle Reference Manual (from http://tahiti.oracle.com) version 9.2 and go to page 27, I'm still in the index.

So, provided function based indexes do exist, and are now included in Oracle Standard:

WTF, why do you post this utter drivel?
Don't you have more important issues to attend to?

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA