A WTF in the Oracle reference...

From: <chaoslight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 16 Jan 2006 02:12:34 -0800

Here's a quote from the Oracle reference guide, page 27:

"There are ways to find information from the database regardless of whether the data is in uppercase or lowercase, but these methods impose an unnecessary burden. With few exceptions, such as legal text or form-letter paragraphs, it is much easier to store data in the database in uppercase. It makes queries easier and provides a more consistent appearance on reports. When and if some of this data needs to be put into lowercase, or mixed uppercase and lowercase (such as the name and address on a letter), then the Oracle functions that perform the conversion can be invoked. It will be less trouble overall, and less confusing, to store and report data in uppercase."

Is it just me, or is this advice profoundly retarded? I'd love to see what those Oracle functions would do with a name like MacDonald, or a company name like eBay. Especially in the age of StudlyCaps, I don't think the correct capitalization of proper names is something Oracle can just automagically figure out.

Laszlo Received on Mon Jan 16 2006 - 04:12:34 CST