Re: how i recover my database

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 15 Jan 2006 10:33:52 -0800

srikanthpotluri wrote:
> i am using oracle10.2.0 version on windowsXP.i open sp file once.
> i got a proble to start a database..
> the following two errors are comming ..
> 1.ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
> 2.LRM-00109: could not open parameter file
> 'C:\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.2.0\SREE\DATABASE\INITSREE.ORA'
> how i recover my database could u help me any body
> advance thanks
> srikanth potluri

Interesting how your tale takes a different turn at ORACLE_DBA_EXPERTS:

srikanthpotluri wrote:
> I am using oracle 10.2.0 version on windowsXP operating system.
> i open spfile as a word document..
> then after my database bot starting.
> if we type :startup
> the following two errors are comming
> ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
> LRM-00109: could not open parameter file
> 'C:\ORACLE\PRODUCT\10.2.0\SREE\DATABASE\INITSREE.ORA'
> how to recover my database could u help me any body in the group.
>
> thanks in advace
> srikanth potluri

SQL> startup pfile="<location to new init<sid>.ora file here>"

You may then generate a new spfile after the database is running with:

SQL> create spfile from pfile;

LEAVE THIS COPY ALONE. Another attempt at opening it with Microsoft Word will result in the same behaviour you now experience. I shall say this again:

The spfile is a BINARY copy of the pfile. It is NOT suitable to be edited with Microsoft Word, EVER.

Take the advice given and you will get your database started, generate a new spfile and be, as they say, 'back in business'. That is, unless you decide the advice to NOT use Microsoft Word to edit your spfile is not to be taken. You'll then have this same problem again and again, and will need to repeat the steps given here until you learn your lesson and stop using Microsoft Word to edit any configuration file for an Oracle database.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Sun Jan 15 2006 - 12:33:52 CST