Re: QUESTION: RMAN 8i authentication confusion

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 07:56:19 +0100

On 13 Jan 2006 14:07:36 -0800, "BD" <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi, all.
>
>I got into a little bit of confusion with my rman (8i on AIX) recently.
>
>Long story short: if I log into the rman executable with the rman ID ,
>after having granted the rman ID sysdba privs, and then watch the
>session (using TOAD, in this case), the ID being used is SYS, not rman.
>
>If I log into sqlplus with the rman ID, and check the Session Browser
>in TOAD, it shows the rman in the sqlplus session.
>
>But if I launch rman with the rman ID, the session shows up under the
>SYS id, just as it does if I had gone "rman target /".
>
>I know that the rman ID is being used in _some_ fashion, because if I
>revoke sysdba privs from rman in the database, the script which runs
>the rman executable fails with insufficient privs.
>
>Anyone know what's going on here?
>
>Thanks,
>
>BD

Yes, you are mixing up things

1 You only need an rman id if you have a catalog database. You would use the rman id to connect to your catalog database 2 to connect to your target database you need any user with SYSDBA privileges. Those users always show up connected as SYS 3 consequently
rman nocatalog target /
should work always
rman nocatalog target <rman_id>/<rman_id_password> implicitly connects the rman_id as SYSDBA

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA