QUESTION: RMAN 8i authentication confusion

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Jan 2006 14:07:36 -0800

Hi, all.

I got into a little bit of confusion with my rman (8i on AIX) recently.

Long story short: if I log into the rman executable with the rman ID , after having granted the rman ID sysdba privs, and then watch the session (using TOAD, in this case), the ID being used is SYS, not rman.

If I log into sqlplus with the rman ID, and check the Session Browser in TOAD, it shows the rman in the sqlplus session.

But if I launch rman with the rman ID, the session shows up under the SYS id, just as it does if I had gone "rman target /".

I know that the rman ID is being used in _some_ fashion, because if I revoke sysdba privs from rman in the database, the script which runs the rman executable fails with insufficient privs.

Anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks,

BD Received on Fri Jan 13 2006 - 16:07:36 CST