Re: discs

From: Chuck <skilover_nospam_at_bluebottle.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:53:12 GMT

PHernandez wrote:
> A friend asked me to install linux and oracle for him. The box have six
> sata discs and I wonder if someone here would be kind to help me figure
> out how to best use them.
>
> I'm thinking:
>
> One Raid 1 for os, oracle bins and swap + one raid 1+0 for
> data,archivelogs and control files
> or
> One Raid 1 for os, oracle bins and first control file, one single disc
> for second controlfile and swap and raid 5 for data, archivelogs and
> third control file
> or
> Three discs without raid- one disc for os,swap and first ctrfile, one
> disc for oracle binaries, swap and second ctrfile and one disc for swap
> and third ctrl file. Then one raid 5 for data files and archivelogs.
> or
> ???
>
> Comments?
>
> Adding more discs is not an option right now...
>
> CentOS or RedHat and 10gr2
>
> --ph

Assuming these are not SAN attached and you don't have a huge write cache, eliminate any configuration that includes raid 5. It'll be very slow for writes. Of the three, the first option is the best. The striping should eliminate the bulk of any contention incurred from having logs, archived logs, and datafiles all on the same filesystem.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"