Re: File write error on pipe export

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:51:13 GMT

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:49:44 -0800, Alex wrote:

> Connected to: Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.1.0.4.0
> - 64bit Production
> With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options
>
> ^C
> EXP-00028: failed to open FIFO.dmp for write
> Export file: expdat.dmp >
>
> After issuing mknod, I also tried chmod 777 FIFO.dmp -- but with the
> same result...

Alex, AIX has trace command instead of strace or truss. I have never used it, but on linux command would be something like strace -o /tmp/exp.out exp parfile=myparams.par

This would show you the exact system call that your export is hanging. You can also take a look at V$SESSION_WAIT to see what is the export session waiting for.

Another trivial question: do you have anything emptying your pipe active? There should be something there to drain it, as soon as it is created. Here is how things work on my workstation:

$ cd /tmp
$ mknod expdat.dmp p;dd if=expdat.dmp of=/dev/null bs=4k & [1] 4534
$ exp scott/tiger tables=\(emp,dept\) log=/tmp/testexp.log statistics=none

Export: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Fri Jan 13 04:48:32 2006

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Connected to: Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining Scoring Engine options Export done in US7ASCII character set and AL16UTF16 NCHAR character set server uses WE8ISO8859P1 character set (possible charset conversion)

About to export specified tables via Conventional Path ...

. . exporting table                            EMP         14 rows exported
. . exporting table                           DEPT          4 rows exported
Export terminated successfully without warnings. 4+0 records in $ 4+0 records out

It's neither your version nor your platform, but gives you the template of how it's done.

--
http://www.mgogala.com