How to cut a field in oracle

From: <balu422_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Jan 2006 16:59:49 -0800

Hi Everyone,

I am using oracle 8i and I have a table called ge_module_access which has a field name called functions. functions field has values like
'NNNNNNYNNNYNYYYY'
'YYYNNNYYYNNNNNYY'
'YYYYYYNNNNNNYYYY' etc

each character means something is there a way I can cut this field in the where clause?
select * from ge_module_access
where first character of field functions is 'Y'; which should bring up 2nd and 3rd record in the example above.
BTW I need to cut the field instead of using like. Example:
if 'YYNNYY' is function_id 1, 2 and 5, 6. if 'NNYYNN then funcion_id 3 and 4 and so forth.... Any help to accomplish the task is appreciated. Thanks,

Balu Received on Wed Jan 11 2006 - 18:59:49 CST