DIM-00019 w/ O 9.2.

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Jan 2006 12:43:12 -0800

Platform: Oracle 9.2.0.7.0 on Win2003 server

On this box, some months ago, we created a db. All well and good. Today we tried to create a second db. Running oradim resulted in the following:

D:\oracle\ora92\bin>oradim -NEW -SID PTPP -INTPWD ptpp -startmode AUTO -pfile d:
\oracle\admin\ptpp\pfile\initptpp.ora
DIM-00019: Create Service Error.

Note that this is the only msg coming out. It is not showing an o/s msg as has been reported by others getting a DIM-00019.

The service is created but reports in a perpetual 'starting' status. The only way we've been able to clean up is to set the service for manual start then bounce the box, freeing the service to be deleted with "oradim -delete -sid ptpp"

The password file is created.

My domain userid is a member of the local Administrators group.

Oradim.log reports:

Wed Jan 11 13:47:29 2006
ORA-00205: error in identifying controlfile, check alert log for more info

The alert log shows:

Wed Jan 11 13:47:29 2006

ORA-00202: controlfile: 'e:\oracntl1\ptpp\control01.ctl'
ORA-27041: unable to open file
OSD-04002: unable to open file
O/S-Error: (OS 2) The system cannot find the file specified.

Wed Jan 11 13:47:29 2006
ORA-205 signalled during: alter database mount exclusive... Shutting down instance (abort)
License high water mark = 2
Instance terminated by USER, pid = 2112

Of course the control file can't be found ... it doesn't yet exist .. we haven't got that far. Actually, we find that message in ALL of our alert logs on the startup initiated by oradim at instanct/service creation time. It's never been an issue, so I suspect it's a red herring on this one.

Most of the search hits I've gotten deal with 10g and DBCA. Only one seemed to match my situation, and it only said to make sure I was in the local Administrators group.

Ideas? Received on Wed Jan 11 2006 - 14:43:12 CST