Oracle 8i Replication Question

From: Wally <wallyraju_at_gmail.com>
Date: 11 Jan 2006 12:10:42 -0800

Hi All,

I have two identical databases that have replication running between them.

Let say I have a table

scott.emp

empno     NUMBER
ename     VARCHAR2(10)
job       VARCHAR2(9)
mgr       NUMBER
hiredate  DATE
sal       NUMBER(10,2)
comm      NUMBER(9,0)

deptno NUMBER(2)

When I updated the "sal" column on one row let say where empno = 10 in the emp table in one instance and went to Oracle DBA Studio and look at the replication queues, it shows that there is a transaction on the scott.emp table. What I noticed was that in DBA Studio it shows the entire row of scott.emp where empno = 10 as it was before i made the change and as it is after i made the change.

My question is,

when this transaction replicates, are copies of the entire row before the change and after the change sent via replication to the other instance, or is just the primary key of the affected row sent along with the columns actually changed sent via replication to the other instance.

The reason I ask this is, I have a small procedure that will update upto 5,000,000 records in a table where the the row size is not that small. I am worried that if these records are updated then that means that 10,000,000 records are being sent via replication (complete old record + complete new record) and this will slow down the system.

Thank you all for your help.

Wally Received on Wed Jan 11 2006 - 14:10:42 CST