Re: Oracle 9i dbms_stats.gather_database_stats() Benefits

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:45:50 -0800

Michael42 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In Oracle 9i on a Solaris 8 system can someone please explain what the
> benefits of gathering database stats are?
>
> I am asking in relation to using dbms_stats.gather_database_stats() .
> I have heard it can make DML more efficient and add information to OEM
> (total records) but was hoping to get a more detailed answer.
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Michael42

The cost based optimizer uses statistics gathered by DBMS_STATS to make decisions. Usually ... the better the quality of information provided to the optimizer the better the quality of the decisions it makes. I'd let the books written by Jonathan Lewis on the topic be your guide here.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org