Re: Which Linux?

From: Steve <ThisOne_at_Aint.Valid>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 18:40:44 +1300

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 17:32:05 +0000, Andy Hassall wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 06:06:33 +1300, Steve <ThisOne_at_Aint.Valid> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:34:49 +0000, Andy Hassall wrote:
>>
>>>  The other posters have mentioned Whitebox Linux - I've used this successfully
>>> for test machines before; since it's practically identical to RedHat Enterprise
>>> Linux 4, it's useful for learning and initial testing before moving to an
>>> Oracle supported distribution for production.
>>
>>No quite. WB is RHEL3, CentOS is RHEL4.

> There's a newer version of WhiteBox - WBEL4:
>
> http://beau.org/pipermail/whitebox-announce/2005-May/000077.html
> " * This release is starting out with i386 (ia32) and AMD64
> (x86_64/ia32e) ports built from the exact same source package set, which
> is RHEL4 updated with all errata released through April 30."

About that time, there was a single page on the WB site, suggesting that you tried CentOS instead, as they were giving up active development. Obviously being slashdotted soon after changed their minds for them. By then I'd taken their advice.

Sorry for the out of date info.

Steve Received on Mon Jan 09 2006 - 23:40:44 CST