Re: upgrade oracle server 8.1.7 to 10

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 9 Jan 2006 16:36:39 -0800

See the box labelled "Upgrade Information"

http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/homepage?remark=tahiti

As to whether you need training, that depends on where you are now. If you are using features in a manner that is version specific, that will need to be fixed, but in general, 10g is a superset of 8i, and is much easier from an adminstration viewpoint. (One big exception might be if you are using the rule-based optimizer for some old app).

Given your domain, I'd guess you have a lot of training options, and I'd encourage you to play around with the product some (see otn.oracle.com), then take full advantage of the training. But yes, you can upgrade and go. Might be a little more involved if you are on old forms or webserver...

So, It Depends.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.