Re: Standby db question

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 9 Jan 2006 15:14:20 -0800

Any time you want to do something slightly more complex than Oracle lets you, you need to do something like this, or else upgrade to the version that has compressed archive log shipments.

Of course, I'm anti-windows by nature, so I couldn't say whether xcopy is cool, aside from vague memories of having seen it silently not completely copy some open files or something, I don't remember.

But on other platforms, this would be considered the "old way," before Oracle became fancy-schmancy with fallible FAL processes and what-all. It can work quite well, and lets you decide exactly how and when to ship the arcs. You can even purposefully delay arc application to give yourself a window to catch 'delete from gl_accounts' type errors. You can decide exactly how much you want to invest in doing things exactly how you want. The downside is the expense - you must always have qualified talent available to monitor deal with any problems, and you are reinventing the wheel. But with all that, even some small shops find it worth the expense, verses some pre-9206 bugs (and, I hear, RAC/Standby issues, but I wouldn't know about that).

If you do it, you definitely need to automate checking to be sure the log is totally written before propagation, and that it makes it to the other side and is applied without problems.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Still haven't got skip scan right: