Re: Listener help for a n00b.

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 20:26:38 +0100

Ben Bowen wrote:
> That's good to know. I checked on the db2 machine and the 1st thing I
> saw was the listener.ora wasn't there (rather, the link was missing). I
> linked it properly and got a bit further. It then told me the
> executable was missing. I'm not too surprised by this as I said the
> lnsrctl executable was missing, who knows what else was. I tar'ed the
> ../oracle/bin directory from the master(db1) and brought it over to the
> db2. Lo and behold the listener now starts (output below).
>
> Unfortunately, that's not the end of the troubles. I have created the
> link on db1 as described in my 1st post. When I attempt to do a desc on
> the linked table I get the following. Is there any way to debug this
> one? Thanks again!
>

> SQL> desc config_at_db2;
> ERROR:
> ORA-02068: following severe error from db2
> ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE

NOT the way to install Oracle on db2 or db3 - just tarring and hoping everything will be OK.
A Unix sysadmin will probably know what to do, like relinking, but judging your self proclaimed lack of Oracle knowledge, I can only suggest to fire up the installer, and perform a proper install on the db2 and db3 machines.

Then again, you said it was (part of) a distributed (and 'automagically' configured) installation.

I suggest you find out how oracle was installed on db2 and db3, what instances are running, and what their network aliases are. If this is already setup and running, someone must be able to connect to db2 (and db3)!

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...