Re: Question about efficient ways to pass data from java to oracle

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 19:30:35 +0100

Volker Hetzer wrote:
> theRat wrote:
>

>> What I'm really looking for is just other techniques for passing large
>> amounts of data to oracle - techniques that I can try and compare to
>> what I'm currently doing.  For example, I'd love to try
>> Connection.setArray() - but I can't find any examples out there.

> What kind of client API are you using?
> If your client runs on windows you can use oledb
> and oracles automation server (oo4o) comes with a nice help.
> I've used array bindings from VBScript and they worked great.
> Not sure how fast it's going to be with objects but I'll probably
> find out early next year.

Found out. In my case (ca. 150000 spatial objects) I'd have had to implement lots of object reuse stuff because I couldn't just allocate all of them and dump the data in. It took 200MB and 15min just to allocate all the objects.
I eventually settled to write out the data into a file and then used sql*loader on it which seems to manage all right. If you can use named pipes with sql*loader reading off the other end that's what I'd suggest.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Sat Jan 07 2006 - 12:30:35 CST