Re: switching datafiles that are used

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Jan 2006 15:16:56 -0800

bal... wrote:

>Basically I need to know if I turn off autoextend on a datafile will
>the new datafiles start to be used when the old fills up.

Oracle seems to round robin the placement of data into multiple datafiles within a tablespace. So it is possible the new data files will be written before the old fill up. I'm not sure of the exact round robin algorithm, so I don't know what Oracle will do with a new empty one and an almost full old one. You might want to test based on your specific configuration and app.

It's difficult to give advice without knowing the reason you are asking (are you archiving? Suffering from Compulsive Tuning Disorder? Using WORM devices? RAID-5 old data?), as well as the scope of the request (10 tables? 100000 tables? One tablespace? 100000 tablespaces?). In the olden days, there were tricks we did to make segments appear on specific disks for various reasons, some based on myth. With modern devices, we tend to just SAME and let the electronic sprites sort it out. You might want to read up on read-only tablespaces if you really don't want to write to some things. You might want to review the concepts manual to be sure you understand the definitions of tablespaces, segments and so forth.

And I'm not entirely clear on how you intend to resize full datafiles...

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"You can't sit there waiting for every last piece of information." -