Re: Big Oracle database question

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 09:49:17 -0800

Mikolaj Gwozdz wrote:
> Dnia Wed, 04 Jan 2006 09:32:11 -0800, DA Morgan napisał(a):
>

>>I would urge you to put together a more meaningful requirements list
>>and then ask your question again.

> Ok, but the only requirement I can add is the speed of inserting rows into
> tables. Application should be able to insert avg. 25 records per second and
> 150 rps in peak. At this time other applications should normally read from
> the same table.
>
> Mikolaj

If that is the only other requirement you can come up with then let me help you.

  1. How many simultaneously connected users?
  2. What size will the transactions be?
  3. Is it OLTP or OLAP?
  4. What is the service level agreement with your customers? 7x24?
  5. Is there a need for off-site replication?
  6. Is the system expected to grow over time? How much and by when?
  7. Will there be batch jobs run?

Seriously ... if you can't take my small list above and expand it to at least 20-50 more items you should find a mentor that can help you who has the required background and skill.

BTW: I can insert > 20,000 rows per second on my laptop.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
http://www.psoug.org