Re: applying patchset before/after database move

From: Glen <stromqueat_at_telusdotnet.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:38:43 GMT

bdbafh_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Why not keep the existing controlfile and simply rename the datafiles
> and logfiles while the database instance is in a mount state on the new
> server?
>
> IMHO, resetlogs is to be avoided if possible.
> You'll lose record of your rman backups if you're not using an rman
> catalog.
>
> Are you intending to move a hot backup set in order to minimize
> downtime?
>
> I'd run catpatch against it on whatever was the faster server ...
>
> -bdbafh

I do use the online backup set to minimize downtime, but I see your point about using the existing controlfile(s) and just renaming the datafiles and logfiles, I may try that this time around. After the move and open with resetlogs I always shut the instance down and do an offline backup anyway, so by using the existing controlfiles and opening normally after recovering, the existing backups on the old machine would still be valid and another shutdown may not be neccesary..

As far as the patch goes, I'm going to read the 9.2.0.7 doc's in detail later today and may decide just to keep it at 9.2.0.5 for now as its a small and relatively simple DB. Received on Thu Jan 05 2006 - 09:38:43 CST