Re: The charter for this newsgroup

From: <mjbox01_at_gmail.com>
Date: 5 Jan 2006 05:31:32 -0800

Jon Weinberg wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 16:53:29 +0100, Sybrand Bakker
> <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> >On 4 Jan 2006 05:03:58 -0800, bbulsara23_at_hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> >>Q. Should top, bottom, or interleaved posting to cdos be the posters
> >>preference or the consensus preference of people that read this
> >>newsgroup?
> >
> >As long as the Microsoft liveform of the species didn't yet take over
> >the earth, the human species still reads from top to bottom, not from
> >bottom to top.
> >Blanket top-posting forces the reader (including potential responders)
> >to scroll through the message, which is exactly the activity the
> >poster is avoiding, as he is too lazy for it.
> >
> >Consequently, top-posting must be considered as uncivil and
> >disrespectful, and it definitely shouldn't be a posters preference.
>
> That's your opinion, which is not universally shared.

Apart from the dig at purveyors of fine email and news clients, the following is not opinion but fact.

> >As long as the Microsoft liveform of the species didn't yet take over
> >the earth, the human species still reads from top to bottom, not from
> >bottom to top.

Like this?

Or do you read from bottom to top?

> >Blanket top-posting forces the reader (including potential responders)
> >to scroll through the message, which is exactly the activity the
> >poster is avoiding, as he is too lazy for it.

Apart from aspersions of laziness behind the reasons for this this is also not opinion but fact. Or do you have a news reader that automatically takes you to the very bottom of a thread so you can start reading upwards and backwards?

> Why should your
> preference be imposed on everyone else?

Because Sybrand answers a lot more question in this group than you do. His preferences are not imposed, if you go against them you are just more likely to be rebuked than get an answer. And I think that is fair enough and should not be the cause of a bunch of whining. Received on Thu Jan 05 2006 - 07:31:32 CST