RMAN with Legato NetWorker

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Jan 2006 23:20:17 -0800

Hi,

I have been using RMAN with Veritas NetBackup for a while, and now need to do the same with Legato. However, it appears that there are substantial differences:
- Veritas NB agent allows to run any shell script, so from agent
running as root I could do "su - oracle" and then do the rest as UNIX user "oracle"
- Legato agent does not allow to execute shell script, it calls rman
executable directly, and as it is running as "root" we are facing the problem of connecting to the target database AS SYSDBA as "root". This is not easy as:
- Oracle does not allow "root" to connect as SYSDBA even if root is a
member of group dba - unless dba is a primary group for root (Metalink Note 69642.1). But primary group for root is root, not dba.
- We could create password-authenticated user and give it SYSDBA role,
but this means hardcoding the password in the script.
- We tried to create OPS$ROOT and give it SYSDBA, but Oracle wouldn't
grant SYSDBA to OPS$ user

Any thoughts? Received on Thu Jan 05 2006 - 01:20:17 CST