Re: Connecting to Oracle Instances - N00B

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 4 Jan 2006 13:35:33 -0800

Shadow wrote:
> Ouch. Ok, I don't know what SQL*Net is so I don't know how I'm using
> it. I went into the environment varibles and did not see an ORACLE_SID
> variable there. Is that where that needs to be set?
>
> There is a OracleServiceSID in the services however.

Open a command prompt, then type:

set ORACLE_SID=<your actual SID here>

After that, type:

sqlplus user/pass

and you SHOULD connect to your local instance.

You should really set ORACLE_SID so it's always set:

Start -> All Programs -> Control Panel -> System ->Advanced -> Environment variables

Enter this in the appropriate window:

ORACLE_SID=<your SID here>

Click 'OK' and you should be done. Either sqlplus interface (sqlplus.exe or sqlplusw.exe) should find the variable set and thus you avoid entering anything in the Host field (from sqlplusw.exe) or using any '@tns_alias' syntax on the command line.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Jan 04 2006 - 15:35:33 CST