Re: Connecting to Oracle Instances - N00B

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 4 Jan 2006 12:56:29 -0800

Shadow wrote:
> Thanks for the help. I went into the tnsnames.ora file. this is what
> I have. I had to change the host = because the ip was wrong. Can I
> just make that localhost? Is there anything else wrong with this
> because when I tried to test the connection via ODBC drivers, I get the
> TNS:no listener error. There are two instances listed in the tnsnames
> file. Do I need to take one of the instances out since they are both
> referencing the same port#?
>
> Thanks
>
> SID =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.x.xxx)(PORT = 1521))
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVER = DEDICATED)
> (SERVICE_NAME = sid)

You need to configure your tnsnames.ora to match WHERE your listener is listening as far as the IP Address is concerned. You are NOT listening on localhost, so you can't expect SQL*Net to find anything. As I stated in an earlier post WHY are you using SQL*Net for a LOCAL connection??? If you want local access set ORACLE_SID properly in your environment. Otherwise edit your tnsnames.ora file to 'point' to the same address (for this SID) the local listener is using and use that tns_alias on the local command line.

This is not rocket science.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Wed Jan 04 2006 - 14:56:29 CST