Re: PROBLEM: Cannot rebuild index!!

From: BD <bobby_dread_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 30 Dec 2005 13:16:05 -0800

>why is it necessary to drop and recreate the indexes when adding rows to the table?

It's a performance thing. It's not necessary, per se - but there's a lot of transformations that go on in these tables as they are updated, and the index slows the process down. So the index is dropped, the table is truncated and repopulated, the transformations take place, and the index is recreated. We kind of rely on the integrity of the source dbs data for valid inserts. First time I've seen a problem with the data, so it doesn't happen often. All I can figure is that the source db must have changed their indexing criteria and not told us. Received on Fri Dec 30 2005 - 15:16:05 CST