Re: Monitoring and tuning database performance

From: IANAL_VISTA <IANAL_Vista_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:22:00 GMT

"Si" <si_at_gmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in

> I am writing some coursework for students that describes the tools
> used to monitor and tune database performance in Oracle. I have
> experience of doing this in MS SQL Server, but not in Oracle.
>
> What tools do you guys use in order to achieve this in Oracle?

SQL is the only/best choice.

> Forexample how do I find out the most common transactions?

SQL is the only/best choice.
Quantify "common".
Most executes?
Most LIO?
Most PIO?
http://tahiti.oracle.com
contains the whole Documentation set.
RTFM - specifically REFERENCE manual & in particular the "V$*" views.

> How do I monitor hardware resource usage?

What does this have to do with Oracle? Received on Fri Dec 30 2005 - 10:22:00 CST